It's estimated that people move roughly 11 times throughout their life, now when you're a child, that's when it's easy because your parents did all the work (along with the movers), but when you get older and have to move on your own, it can be intimidating, overwhelming, and turn into one big headache if you don't do it right. Now, with moving being generally stereotyped as a stressful experience, moving into a city can seem like an even more daunting task, unless you find the right movers who can work efficiently and know the area around your new home.
When you're moving into a big city such as New York, it can be difficult maneuvering through the traffic and getting all your stuff up to your new home. However, if you find the right movers to help you, they'll make the whole process infinitely easier.
How to Prepare for Your NYC Move
Although movers will help you get a majority of the work done, including the heavy lifting, it'd be wise to do some of the preparation yourself to help get the job done faster. So, rather than waiting until the last minute, plan your move in advance and become an informed mover. To help you get started, we've compiled a list of tips for you if you're not quite sure where to start.
- Get acquainted with your new community. It'll give you something to look forward to and it can help you set up accounts with service providers for your internet, phone, cable etc. Once you become more familiar with your area, you'll feel more comfortable about the move because you'll know of places to go, you won't be worried about getting lost, and you'll know where you'll need to go to get any shopping done.
- Get rid of your extra stuff. One of the hardest parts of moving is packing up all your stuff so, to make it easier on yourself, get rid of your extra stuff. If you're not sure on what to throw out, ask yourself a few questions:
- Does anyone have any use for this?
- Is it just taking up space and being unused?
- Does it have any sentimental value?
- Take inventory of everything you're taking with you and take special note on items that are difficult to replace. While you're taking inventory, this will also give you time to wrap any breakables safely, and you'll be able to keep tabs on anything lost. In the event that there is a delay with your moving company, you want to also make sure that you pack an essentials bag that has clothing, toiletries, prescriptions etc.
Moving in New York City is really just like moving anywhere else, it's just a busier area, but if you find movers who know the city and your borough, they should be able to help make your moving experience easier.