So, you're finally moving and you're excited about it, but as soon as you realize how much packing you have to do, the excitement is sucked right out of you. Nobody enjoys packing for a move because the concept of packing everything away into boxes, only to unpack it shortly after the fact - plus, you have to find new places to put all your stuff. With that being said, there are actually some moving hacks out there that will make your packing experience not AS bad, because it'll be bad regardless.
Sometimes, there are elements within our possession that are difficult to pack, and even thinking of packing them just helps you picture opening a box full of broken glass. Its instances like these where packing hacks are really useful because you can see how ingenious some of movers can be.
10 Packing Hacks for Everyone Moving
- Instead of taking all your clothes off the hangars and folding them, take trash bags and just side them over the clothes with the hangars still on then tie the bag. All you'll need to do in your new home will be to hang the clothes and slide the bags off.
- Afraid of plates breaking? Go out and invest in some Styrofoam plates, then place them in between the glass plates -- this will prevent any scratching as well as broken glass provided you don't drop the box.
- Speaking of dropping the box, continuously opening and closing the front door can be risky for the belongings in your hands so, take a rubber band and crisscross it over the lock so it's blocked and can't retract. This way, you just need to give the door a nudge to get it to open and close.
- Pack your basics separately in case you can't find anything or if anything gets lost or misplaced during the move. This way, you'll have the essentials you need. It's best if you just pack this like a vacation bag.
- Did you accidentally put some holes in your walls? Use toothpaste to fill them in.
- Label all your boxes on the sides rather than the top so you can see what's inside of them without having to lift a bunch of boxes to get to the one you think you're looking for.
- Don't wait till the last minute to find a moving company, especially during the summer when all the recent graduates are moving into their new apartments.
- If you're worried about losing little things like screws, put them in zip-lock bags that are labeled and put somewhere that you'll remember.
- When you're packing any liquids, cover them with plastic wrap so any spills or liquid explosions are contained.
- Add handles to your boxes to make carrying them easier by cutting a thin rectangle on each side so you're not straining your arms trying to reach around and maintain your grip on the box.